TANGY SPANISH RICE
Popular American Southwest dish with its distinctive mixture of tangy, savoury and spicy flavours; Spanish Rice’s strong flavours come from the tomatoes, bay leaf, and chilli – Guaranteed to tantalise your taste buds.
- 3cups (720g) Chicken Broth (Reduced Sodium)
- 4whole (656g) Red Capsicum
- 2cups (360g) Tomatoes (Diced with juice)
- 1large piece (272g) Chicken Breast (Diced)
- 1cup (185g) Ace Nuwara Wholegrain Red Basmathi Rice
- 1medium (110g) Onion (Finely chopped)
- 2peppers (90g) Green Chili (Finely chopped)
- 1whole Lemon
- 2.5tbsp (36g) Olive Oil
- 1tbsp (16g) Tomato Paste
- 2cloves (6g) Garlic (Finely chopped)
- 2tsp (4.8g) Black Pepper (Ground)
- 1tsp (4.4g) Cajun Seasoning
- 2tsp (4.0g) Dried Thyme
- 4tsp (2.4g) Bay Leaf
- 2tsp (1.2g) Dried Parsely Flakes
- 1dash (0.4g) Salt
- Cube the chicken breast and season it with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Ensure that the oven rack is adjusted to the lower section of the oven.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan/pot and sauté the chicken till it turns light brown.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir for 1.5 minutes until it is fragrant.
- Add in the onions, garlic, and green chilli and cook for 1.5 minutes.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and pour in the chicken broth.
- Season with thyme, bay leaves and Cajun seasoning.
- Bring the pot to a boil and add in the rice (rinsed and strained).
- Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes while checking on it occasionally.
- Cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Discard the bay leaves and start stuffing the bell peppers.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the peppers are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with dried parsley flakes and serve with lemon.
- Low GI: 49
- Energy: 427kcal
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 13.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 289mg
- Dietary Fibre: 2.8g