RICE and LENTIL PALIF
Rice mixed with Lentils cooked in a seasoned aromatic broth infused with herbs and spices. This healthy and savoury vegetarian dish is perfect for any occasion.
- 3cups (720g) Vegetable Broth (Reduced Sodium)
- 1.5cups (400g) White Mushroom (Chopped)
- 2large (300g) Onions (Finely chopped)
- 2cups (214g) Cauliflower (Cut into small pieces)
- 1cup (185g) Ace Nuwara Wholegrain Red Basmathi Rice
- 2cups (182g) Broccoli (Cut into small pieces)
- 6tbsp (72g) Green Lentils
- 2.5tbsp (36g) Olive Oil
- 0.25cup (34g) Almond Nuts (Crushed)
- 8cloves (24g) Garlic (Finely chopped)
- 2tsp (5g) Black Pepper
- 0.5tsp (3g) Salt
- 1tsp (3g) Chili Powder
- 2tsp (2g) Dried Thyme
- 2tsp (1.2g) Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1tsp (1.2g) Dried Rosemary
- Rinse the rice thoroughly and soak it in water for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly and boil for 10 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Heat up olive oil in a saucepan/pot and sauté the onions until they become soft.
- Then add the garlic and cook it till it turns golden brown.
- Stir in the mushrooms, salt, chilli powder, black pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- Pour in the vegetable broth once the mushroom is cooked and bring the pot to a boil.
- Strain the soaked rice and add it to the pot. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the broccoli and cauliflower in a separate pot until they are cooked. Strain and set aside.
- When almost all of the vegetable/chicken broth in the pot has been absorbed by the rice; add in the lentils.
- Cook for another 3 minutes and add the cooked broccoli and cauliflower. Mix well.
- Garnish with crushed almonds and dried parsley and serve. Optional garnish: finely chopped yellow bell pepper and chilli powder.
- Low GI: 36
- Energy: 481kcal
- Carbohydrate: 69g
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 16.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 415mg
- Dietary Fibre: 12.5g