BELACAN FRIED RICE
Easy-to-prepare Indonesian-inspired fried rice flavoured by belacan (shrimp paste) and soy sauce, this mouth watering dish brings out a flavoury blend of spiciness and saltiness.
- 1cup (185g) AceNuwara Red Basmathi Rice
- 2tbsp (27g) Olive Oil
- 2cloves (6g) Garlic (Chopped)
- 2small (133g) Onions (Roughly chopped)
- 4pcs (50g) Red Chili (Seeded and chopped)
- 12medium pcs (57g) Prawn (Peeled)
- 1tbsp (18g) Light Soy Sauce
- 1medium pc (220g) Chicken Breast (Diced)
- 1tsp (5g) Belacan (Shrimp paste)
- 4tbsp (64g) Frozen Green Peas (Blanched)
- 8slices (52g) Cucumber (Sliced)
- 1.5cups (355g) Water
- Rinse, strain and cook the red basmathi rice in a rice cooker. The ratio of water to rice should be 2:1. After cooking, leave the rice to cool for at least 10 minutes (or overnight in the fridge).
- In a mortar, pound the onions, chilli, garlic and belacan (shrimp paste) with a pestle until they form a paste.
- Heat up olive oil in a pan/wok and add the paste and stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- Then add the chicken and fry till it is cooked.
- Reduce the heat. Add the prawns and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, green peas and soy sauce and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Serve the dish hot with cucumber slices.
- Low GI: 41
- Energy: 353kcal
- Carbohydrate: 45g
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Sodium: 384mg
- Dietary Fibre: 2.3g